Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Ripped off at a Gun Show by a retired RCMP >

Ripped off at a Gun Show by a retired RCMP

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ripped off at a Gun Show by a retired RCMP

Old 03-14-2010, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ripped off at a Gun Show by a retired RCMP

Last month I went to a gun show in Alberta. Since I don't have a 22 rifle in Canada and didn't want to go through he hassle of bringing my weapons across the border I was on the prowl for a 22 rifle for gophers. I came across a 22 winchester lever action. Used but in good condition. As all guns there, they had locks on them or in this case it had a plastic lock tie on it. Kinda difficult to cheque the action or test the gun but I bought it for $270.00 cdn. I went to the gun range last week (first time shooting this rifle) and it wouldn't eject the cartriages as another was tring to be loaded into the chamber. Jamb each time. I changed brand of ammo with my friend and siliconed the chamber but same results. WTF. I was at the range with my friend who knows the guy I bought the gun from , a retired RCMP officer. His signature on the gun transaction/receipt was unreadable and the phone number was erroneous, but with the help of my friend I have his address and phone number.
My friend called him from the gun range with me last week and the gun seller said he'll look into it. I called yesterday and asked him what we're going to do about my gun. He told me he bought it at an auction and gun actions go out all the time and for me to get it fixed. Now I am starting to get mad, who's going to pay for it, I asked? He acted like it was my problem, but said he'll call me next week about me buying another one from him for more money. I'm pissed now and just want my money back.
What can a person do in buying a used gun at a legitimate gun show and discovering its defective?

Bobby
Old 03-14-2010, 07:43 PM
bigcountry

Sounds like the ejector clip is bent or chipped, no big deal. Take it to a smith and have him install a new one. I mean guns are not that complicated. Can you see where its failing to eject? I would be ticked off if he sold it as it works great, yada yada. But in Canada, won't they let you take the lock off and cycle a few rounds?

Old 03-14-2010, 08:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

what's with all these people wanting refunds on SOLD items? sold "as is"

I don't lie about what I sell, but I sell everything "as is" for the most part.

Sure there are dishonest people out there so I suppose maybe that's a different issue.

But when buying a "used" item remember it is "used" not mint or brand new.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

a winchester 9422??? for 270 canadian..?

in decent condition other than its feeding issue??

if its a 9422 or most any older winchester and in a decent condition, you got a deal...check around for prices...

anyway...you bought the gun used...i dont know of a gunshow you can chamber rounds and been to them in 2 different states...working the action wouldnt told you it had feeding problems...thats the problem with buying used guns...sometimes they look fine but something is wrong...

it sounds like a bad ejector to me as well...could be so simple as it just needs cleaned..ive seen them so gummed up that they would stick..shouldnt cost much...and not a thing you can do about it..its yours now...unless the seller had a return policy but it doesnt sound like it...

chaulk it up for expirience and get her fixed...look up the guns price...you might not be so made if you find out you got a great deal...and might not be too upset if you find its something really minor....keep your fingers crossed...but chances are good that its just the ejector and shouldnt be much at all to have replaced...
Old 03-14-2010, 11:04 PM
Fork Horn

Yep, sounds like it is yours now. I bought a used Rem 788 in 308 off a guy here locally a few weeks back. He was advertising it in very good shape and perfect working order. I went to look at it and loaded some rounds and it cycled fine. The finish was flawless so I paid the $300 he was asking. Got it home and tore it down for cleaning and closer inspection. The stock had huge splits around the lugs and the bolt catch spring was all rigged up with JB weld and a hand carved piece of pine wood wedged in it. I put it back together without all the rigged up crap and the bolt catch didn't hold the bolt from coming all the way out during cycling. I called him immediately and let him know what I found. His story was that he bought it off a co-worker needing money, shot it twice and put it in his safe. He then decided to sell it for what he gave for it because he already had one in 308. When I told him what I found he sounded pretty shocked over the phone and immediately said he would make it right. Honestly I didn't expect him to do a whole lot since I bought a used gun in a private sale. He met me the next day and gave me my money back and offered to pay all my gas money. I didn't accept the gas money and thanked him for being an honest stand up guy. He has since got his money back from the guy he bought from. The lesson I learned from this is that I won't buy a used gun anymore with out a full on field strip of it before the transaction takes place. Never know what you might find when you get it home. I feel extremely fortunate it turned out the way it did because the guy would have been well within his rights to tell me to take a long walk off of a short pier.

If it is a 9422, I say you got a deal. I have seen 3 of those sell for $650 to $700 here locally in the last month.

Last edited by MO Archer; 03-14-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:37 AM
Spike

Thumbs down Ripped Off

Hey, I am surprised at some of the replies to the problem. If you buy a gun and the seller tells you there is a problem, shame of you and don't complain later. If you buy and no problem with the gun is mentioned, that to me seems wrong. We do not know what conversation took place but the buyer, Bobby should have the right to go back to the seller and complain, JMHO.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Let the buyer beware!
Old 03-15-2010, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Sounds like the ejector clip is bent or chipped, no big deal. Take it to a smith and have him install a new one. I mean guns are not that complicated. Can you see where its failing to eject? I would be ticked off if he sold it as it works great, yada yada. But in Canada, won't they let you take the lock off and cycle a few rounds?

Oh yeah, thats sounds real safe.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Banned

caveat emptor.

If you don't know what you're buying, don't buy it. Ejection problems aren't a big deal. No warranty on used guns, unless you get them from a shop. IF that's their policy.
My experience on used guns:
There are being sold because they don't shoot well
Seller bought it for a steal and is looking to make money
Seller is hard up for money
Seller just wants something different.

While those hard up for cash are usually the best finds, those that don't shoot well are usually better deals. Most of the time its nothing major and I'd say a bigger portion is cheap ammo/scopes and lack of ability.

But, you have to know your stuff.

Last edited by Risasi; 03-15-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

NEVER buy it if you cannot check it over thoroughly - period!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.