Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Best way to ask permission >

Best way to ask permission

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Best way to ask permission

Old 05-14-2010, 04:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default Best way to ask permission

I do not do it very often so i was wondering the best way that you have found to ask for permission. I have had my eye on a piece of land next to the one i currently have permission on and have not seen anyone hunting it.

How would you approach and what would you say to the land owners?
Old 05-14-2010, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would try to find out who owns it and then try to find out something about them. When you approach them, be friendly and sincere but come right to the point. If they have a farm, you might offer to trade some work for permission. Hope this advice helps. By the way, don't you attend IWU?Blessings.....Pastorjim

Last edited by PastorJim08; 05-14-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like to wear a nice polo with some decent bluejeans. You'll want to ditch the mullet for this one and cover up any tattoo's I'd absolutley say it helps to smell like a male model for this one also (not too strong you don't want to kill them.... You don't want to be *that* guy) anyhow, I like to be polite speak clearly and with purpose, there's no harm in practicing what you're going to be saying on the way there if noones around, ofcoarse. What I like to do is try to listen to everything they say after the conversation is started, I got permission for one farm by hearing the farmer mention a problematic groundhog that was lurking around, and a red fox that's about the same. So I offered my services and also said if he ever needed anything to stop and ask me I'd be more than happy to help him out with anything. (Be very careful with the word anything because it could mean.... Well anything!!!)

Just what I do.

Ryan.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ohh and another big big tip I forgot. Assuming you get permission, after the season is over make sure you splurge and spend 98cents on a thank you card you won't believe how happy you'll make them by doing that.

Ryan.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:01 PM
Typical Buck

Lightbulb

Do a lot of the things you told him you would do,IE like cutting fallen tree's on the fence lines,help with fence lines and report any trespassing. Also a Christmas card is an inspiration to a lot of folk to whom don't expect it . Dropping by to say hi and making the attempt to make a conversation even though your late getting into that stand for an evening hunt. The most important thing is to attempt to make conversation each time you have a chance too and be sincere. Hope this helps .
Rocky
God Bless
Old 05-15-2010, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't wear hunting gear on your initial contact. Make sure you don't come at meal time. When you meet the owner, introduce yourself and tell him where you live. I usually have a 3 x 5 card with my name, vehicle type with license number so he can contact you. Explain exactly what you are hunting and if you are using a bow or firearm. The more familiar the land owner is with you, the better the chances are of getting his permission. Make sure if you do get his OK to hunt that you get his name, phone number and a 3 x 5 card with his agreement to let you hunt on his property, especially if the land is posted. This will save allot of talking if local police or conservation officer stops you.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default Permission

Send a young pretty girl that likes to flirt.... to ask for you. Works everytime.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:02 AM
Typical Buck

I try to take my kids with me when I go ask for permission. It's hard for someone to tell you no when you've got an excited 3- and 4-year old with you telling them how they want to go with daddy to shoot a squirrel!

If given the go-ahead to hunt, I am always sure to express my appreciation for permission to use their land. One way I do this is to ask if they enjoy wild meat and tell them that I'd be glad to share anything that I take off of their land. Most aren't interested (or they themselves would be hunting and wouldn't want you there) but I have run into several families that get very excited about the prospects of a mess of squirrels, some backstrap steaks, or a turkey breast. I shot a turkey on a farmer's ground a few years back, and I made good on my offer of sharing. It kinda hurts to part with half of the only turkey of the year, but they were very appreciative and have always let me return. It is definitely worth it.

Another tip... If you are turned down, thank them for their time and don't push the issue. Leave a good impression and it may help you in the future. I got permission this season to hunt a property that I was denied permission on 3 years ago. And 2 of my 3 toms came off of that property!

Always remember when you are on someone else's ground, their rules go, no matter how extreme you may think they are. It's hard to find places to hunt these days so don't ruin your chances in the future!

rw