Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Captain or Admiral? >

Captain or Admiral?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Captain or Admiral?

Old 07-20-2009, 05:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

How many other bows have you show and/or owned osage? We all know that Mathews makes a high quality bow but they aren't for every one. I personally will not shoot a Mathews myself because of the fat grip, the lack of adjustability, and the amount of reflex they are building into their risers.

So, what's the deal with the riser flex thing with the captain? I haven't heard anything about it and I sell Bowtech. Is this another rumor started over on AT?

I am shooting a Captain this year. I am 6' 2" tall and have a 30" draw length. I find that I prefer the slightly longer ATA of the Captain over the Admiral. I don't seem to have any problems with the riser flexing or anything of that nature.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:35 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by osagematt
Well first off, there is a mathews bow for evryone.period. They are smoother shooting, faster(not very important really) slimmer, lighter, and more accurate and consistant. Other bows are really nice too but you really do get what you pay for when you buy a mathews. The solocam design is the smoothest draw and shot, with barely and vibration, while still producing amazing arrow speedsBut dont get me wrong, there are other bows out there that are awesome too

Have you shot the new Bowtech's? I have shot all the new Bowtech's including the AirRaid as well as many Matthew's bows. I do not like the feel of the Matthews and have never found a Matthews that shoots as smoothly without vibration as my Admiral does. As far as speed... The Admiral is smoking fast. The only thing about an Admiral that a Matthews "might" have an edge on is this.... When in full draw and deciding not to fire it goes from let-off to full weight instantly thus giving it it's speed. But how many times do draw back and not shoot? If you shoot it like I do mine you don't even notice it, it's just the first few times it may take you by surprise. My opinion is this Matthews are over advertised and they have flooded the "Pro" competition shoots with their bows so that the odds are in Matthews favor of being able to say "Best in the Industry" b/c of more top finishes. The reason Matthews bows are as expensive as they are is because of their advertising costs. If they put that money into their bows as Bowtech has then they might have a bow for everyone but currently that is just not the case. I don't care what the Pros shoot, I shoot what I am comfortable with but a better description is I shoot a bow that I absoultely love and wouldn't trade for 2 Matthews.

And Finally I support a company that supports American Troops!

Last edited by 4evrhtn; 07-21-2009 at 04:40 AM.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:06 AM
Fork Horn

Osage: Way to not come off as a fanboy. Yes, mathews makes a good bow but they aren't for everyone. The only Mathews I would EVER own is the Switchback XT (which in my opinion is one of if not the best single cam ever made). You shoot the DXT -- I hated it -- but I'm 6'3 with teradactyle arms and I felt like I was gonna break the dinky little thing. So I went with the marquis because it was a little bigger and felt better.

As far as the orignal poster... shoot what is comfortable to you. If you like the admiral and captain but like a little longer ATA -- TRY THE SENTINEL. OMG I love the sentinel. If I had the money I would have two already. Sweet shooter
Old 07-21-2009, 02:19 PM
Spike

fanboy huh?? try a archer who shoots around 200 arrows a day, works on all types of bows for a living, and has shot most of the bows from every company. I shoot mathews for the feel of the bow and for thier tough built bows. Plus im 6'4'' and the dxt feels awesome on me, its small and light so i can go wherever i want and never have to worry about it being too heavy and it fits everywhere. Ive owned a hoyt powerhawk, katera;A mathews switchback xt, outback, and now my dxt.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:31 PM
Host of Hosts

I own both the Captain and the Admiral. I have to say they are both great bows, but I tend to shoot the Admiral most of the time. It is a short ATA bow, but sure doesn't hold like one. Very stable, quiet as a church mouse and virtually vibration and shock free.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

--osagematt--
I also have shot all the newer mathews as well as the bowtechs and personally hands down I would go with either the general or the admiral over all the mathews bows... My suggestion is to go with what feels comfortable. You should shot as many bows as you can to see the differences among all of them, then go with what you think you have the most comfort in, when it comes down to it that is what matters the most.