Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Can they bend?

Old 06-01-2008, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Can they bend?

I saw in another post that Carbon arrows bend. So my question is can carbon arrows bend and stay permanently bent?
Old 06-01-2008, 11:57 AM

Default RE: Can they bend?

I have seen one.

A local shop has one on the counter in a spin-tester just to show people that it is possible. I guess it's that rare though.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: il coyote

I have seen one.

A local shop has one on the counter in a spin-tester just to show people that it is possible. I guess it's that rare though.
How didit get bent? Is it possible that it was that way from the factory?
Old 06-01-2008, 12:22 PM

No clue.

I was just surprised to see it on the spin-tester wobbling like it was. Been a few years anyway.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:36 PM

never heard of it, I assume that one could be warped from the factory, but be bent from anything else???
Old 06-01-2008, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Heat will warp them!

And when they get stopped in a foam target they get pretty hot. The foam actually gets welded to the arrow.Now if an arrow was very hot as it got stopped in a 3D target and hit on a little bit of an angle and started wobbling I could see how it could bend.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jmbuckhunter

Heat will warp them!

And when they get stopped in a foam target they get pretty hot. The foam actually gets welded to the arrow. Now if an arrow was very hot as it got stopped in a 3D target and hit on a little bit of an angle and started wobbling I could see how it could bend.
I never thought of it that way. Makes sense.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:16 PM

The Axis FMJ and ACC type arrows can bend and not unbend completely. But all carbon arrows are normally either still straight or pretty much destroyed. I think that is their main advantage over aluminums. After awhile, you seem to wind up with a bunch of aluminum arrows that aren't quite bad enough to throw away, but aren't quite straight any more either.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: jmbuckhunter

Heat will warp them!

And when they get stopped in a foam target they get pretty hot. The foam actually gets welded to the arrow.Now if an arrow was very hot as it got stopped in a 3D target and hit on a little bit of an angle and started wobbling I could see how it could bend.
Carbon arrows don't bend, (permanantly) they warp as jmbuckhunter pointed out.

And as Roskoe pointed out, I too have had ACC's bend because of the aluminum core.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

If a carbon arrow were to "bend" i would assume that internally there was damage to the carbon fiber. I would cut it in half and throw it away so that it couldn't be shot by accident.

Quick Reply: Can they bend?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.