Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

FURIOUS IN LOUISIANA!!

Old 12-14-2005, 06:52 AM

Default FURIOUS IN LOUISIANA!!

I purchased a 2004 Bowtech Extreme VFT during the summer '04 and loved the speed and quietness of the bow. The only problem with the bow was that it seemed to eat up the bowstrings really quickly.

After reading a while back about problems that some of you were having with the limbs cracking on the VFT's, I wondered if it would everhappen to mine. Well, it did - AND IT HAPPENED ON OCTOBER 1st - OPENING DAY.

Anxious to get my limbs replaced, I called Spillway Sportsman in Brusly, Louisiana (they're the only Bowtech dealer within 1 and 1/2 hours from my home), got the info on what I needed to bring in with me (warranty and receipt) and the next day brought it in.

I proceeded to show proof of purchase and the warranty and then showed the guy just where the crack was on the limb. The first words out of his mouth were, "Man, looks like you took a knife to the limb. You sure that's a crack?" I thought he was joking, but looking at his facial expressions he wasn't. Needless, to say I was beside myself with anger after his comment. This guy supposed to be a proffesional, right? Why would I pay over $600 on a bow and do something like that - I'm an honest fellow. I babied that bow more than my girlfriend (it even had a nice resting spot on the pillow next to me the first night after I bought it ).

So after discussing the crack a little longer and leaving my information there, he said he would contact Bowtech and get back to me. I specifically made it clear that I would like them to call me as soon as it would be ready.

Reading some of the posts on here concerning the cracked limbs, I saw that it was taking about a month to receive new limbs. After a month had passed, I called and they still hadn't gotten them yet. the weekend of Thanksgiving, I called and they said they had it in (where was my call?). So, on my way up to the camp on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, I stopped over ready to collect my bow. When I got there, the fellow told me that they have my bow, but couldn't put a string on it cause they had to order it. Why the hell didn't he tell me this on the Saturday when I called - would've saved me an hour on the trip to the camp.

So, again I let it there. But this time, I told them how disappointed I was that they hadn't called me like I requested. he assured me that they would call as soon as the string came in (they told me one week).

The next week, on Wednesday, I called again and they said that the string still was on order - to try back next week. Still,. they didn't call.
So, Monday when i got off of work in the morning, I decided that I would go pick the thing up whether they had a string on it or not.

When I get there, the guy goes to the back and brings out my bow with the new limbs and string. The first thing I notice is that the new limbs are a different camoflauge than my original limbs. But I'm happy, after 3 months, I finally was getting my Bowtech back. I had brought a Trophy Taker rest to put on and the guy placed it on in about 20 minutes.

Upon checking out, my bill was $300!!! I was figuring on the string and cable costing about $100, but THEY CHARGED ME $170 FOR THE LIMBS!!! How in the hell can they charge me for the limbs when there's a lifetime warranty on the bow!!! I argued with the fellow for about 10 minutes about this and he said that Bowtech charged them for the limbs so they had to charge me. Is there something I'm missing here on the Lifetime Warranty benefit of buying an expensive bow? I brought my copy of my warranty and receipt just as they asked!!!!

I left in a fury and assured them that I would call Bowtech and discussed the matter and in my leaving, I didn't even look over the bow (I'm stupid). When I got home, I took a couple of arrows and went to set it up. The string they put on it was a Barracuda string andthe cableswere touching (at rest) above the cable slide. The idler wheel looks and feels like it's loosley put back. The riser even looks a little bent. Still, I wanted to shoot it to see if it would be the same. I COULDN'T PULL THE BOWSTRING ALL THE WAY BACK BECAUSE THE IDIOT PLACED THE STRING FOR THE DROP AWAY TERRIBLY SHORT!! Once I fixed this I shot it...............BOING!!! Sounds awful!!! Feels awful!! I'm terribly disappointed.

The only reason I went to the Spillway Sportsman in Brusly Louisiana was because I was told that I had to go through a dealer for my problems. Well, I don't want to go through a dealer again. Is there any one on here that's a Bowtech rep, or is there anyone on here who can give me a number to the customer service at Bowtech so I can discuss this matter? I would really like to send it back to Bowtech itself and have them look it over. That's a bunch of money I spent on that bow and if it doesn't shoot like I initially had it shooting, or if it's not placed back together correctly, I don't want it!!!

Any help from you fellow hunters concerning this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-14-2005, 09:23 AM

Default RE: FURIOUS IN LOUISIANA!!

man, i'm really sorry to hear of all that because i bought a new (05) allegiance this year at spillway sportsman and was considering buying another this year cause i like the bow that much.

now, i may go back to mathews. where do you hunt in louisiana or miss? i hunt near monterray, LA.
insatiable
Old 12-14-2005, 07:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

It sounds like Spillway is full of a bunch of idiots. Definetly sounds like they dropped the ball big time and not Bowtech.

We are a Bowtech, Mathews, Hoyt, PSE, and Browning dealer and never have the problems with warranty work that you described. Even from Mathews.

I suspect that the "dealer" didn't either specify that it was a warranty issue or that Bowtech charged them the cost of the limbs but will credit the ammount back to the dealer upon return of the broken limbs. Almost all bow manufacturers will require the dealer to send back the limbs to them. Usually the manufacturer issues a return label in the box with the new limbs so the dealer can send back the broken ones free of charge.

Who knows, Bowtech may be having problems with this dealer paying bills or something and charged them for the limbs.

Bottom line is that you need to call Bowtech directly with your serial number, dealers name, etc... and tell them what happened. I bet they will instruct the dealer to refund you your money.

BTW, a string and cable shouldn't have cost you more than $70 for a factory Bowtech set.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Get a hold of Matt P/A ,he helped me when I was having trouble's getting my bow ,believe me when he speak's to them thing's will happen fast .Do a search on member's and shoot him a e-mail .But you can also contact Jerid S from BowTech and explain it to him .I'm sure if you go to BowTech's web site you can find the number there ,but send Jerid an e-mail to let him know what's going on .
I know all too well about what your feeling ,because I had serious problem's with getting the run around from dealer's and distributor ,but thing's cghanged very fast when Matt got a hold of it .

www.bowtecharchery.com

nubo
Old 12-14-2005, 07:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

BowTech has the best customer service in the archery world in my book's,they made me more than happy .

nubo
Old 12-14-2005, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

TroopA,
I emailed this link to Pat from Bowtech. Let us all know how they respond to your problems. The problem all seems like dealer incompetence to me. Let Bowtech deal with it directly as that shop is not worth buying glue from.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:10 PM
Typical Buck

Now thats a scarry thing Bowtech was one of the bows I was considering buying but if they have a problem wih limbs splitting maybe I should drop them off my list of considered bows ,,
I would definately contact Bowtech themselfs I am sure they would not be happy with that dealership.. and will make it right with you..
Old 12-14-2005, 10:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Htoler, if you are scared of a limb splitting then you may as well not buy a bow cause any bow can have a limb crack.

Our shop has more Mathews come in with limbs cracked and delaminated than any other brand but people flock to them like flys on poop. Hoyt risers are prone to bending in a press, have had a few come in that looked like a rainbow.

Point being anything can break. Bowtech's limbs don't crack any more or less than any other manufacturer out there.

His problem doesn't seem to be with Bowtech but rather the crappy service from the pro shop.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:51 PM
Typical Buck

I think I put in that post the he should Contact BowTech and that they would probably not be happy with that dealership andwould probably make things right with him..
didnt mean to step on any toes......
but have a question about what you said ( so take it that even thoug we might be shelling out almost a grand for a bow we shouldnt expect to get a quality product that wonr break?? ) just a question
Old 12-14-2005, 11:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

No, that isn't what I mean. You should expect it to perform with out breaking but if it does break that is what you have a lifetime warranty for.

Every manufacturer of any mechanical product will have a certain ammount of them that will break and need repair. You can't get around it. Mechanical things break and wear out. However, the vast majority of them will do exactly what they are designed to do and never give you a seconds trouble.

Basically, even though you are shelling out a grand for a bow set up you must expect that you might possibly have that one in 5000 or 10,000 where something will break unexpectidly. Eventually you will have a bow that will crack a limb. I can almost guarantee it.

BTW, you aren't stepping on anyones toes. Just reiterating that his problem doesn't seem to lie with Bowtech but rather the shop. Threads like this can get out of hand real quick. No offence but a case in point is your other thread about Bowtech bows.

Quick Reply: FURIOUS IN LOUISIANA!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.