Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Shooting The Pedersoli Dixie Cub >

Shooting The Pedersoli Dixie Cub

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shooting The Pedersoli Dixie Cub

Old 10-11-2010, 05:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Shooting The Pedersoli Dixie Cub

Guys, remember my recently acquired .50 caliber Dixie Cub?

I already have two .50 caliber sidehammers, a Hawken and a Renegade (plus the .58 Hawken, .45 & .54 Renegades and .54 Great Plains flinter). Didn't really want or need another .50 caplock. But it was a package deal and I really wanted that .32 caliber Frontier model that was part of the package.

I've decided to sell the Cub, but couldn't turn it loose without shooting it at least once. So I had a short range session with it Friday evening just to see what it could do without making any effort to work up an accuracy load.

What to shoot? The decision was easy - 75 grains of GOEX under patched balls, Hornady Great Plains conicals, and some Gold Dots in sabots.

I shot three-shot groups of each at 50 yards without any sight adjustments. TARGETS BELOW

I was rather pleased with the results. It turns out the sights were set spot on for balls.

THIS SECTION FOR DISCLAIMERS/EXCUSES:

Excuse #1 - I was shooting with a pair of my old bifocal glasses with a four year old prescription because I ran over my current glasses with the tractor. (A not so funny story goes with that.) Fortunately I had my old glasses in the truck.

Excuse #2 - The gun has very nice fiber optic sights front and rear. Though a front F/O sight works fine for me, the rear ones blur terribly. I had a dickens of a time trying to place the front sight properly in the rear blur.

Here are the targets.

Last edited by Semisane; 10-11-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:42 PM
Typical Buck

two of those look real good Semi.Especially considering your handicap.meat on the table.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:02 PM
Dominant Buck

It looks like you don't need to sell that one.. nice shooting.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

two of those look real good Semi
Actually WOODTICK, the group with the 385 grain Hornady Great Plains (Target #2) was pretty good also. The third shot was only 1/2" below the edge of the target, dead center between shots #1 & #2. It was just low because I didn't fool with the sights at all and that big heavy conical hit lower than the other loads.

It looks like you don't need to sell that one..
Yeah, I do Cayugad. I need the cash to pay for an L&R Lock to turn the .32 Frontier caplock into a flinter and to finance another buy I'm working on just for fun.