Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Modified Remington 700ml @ the Farm >

Modified Remington 700ml @ the Farm

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Modified Remington 700ml @ the Farm

Old 07-23-2010, 02:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Modified Remington 700ml @ the Farm

Finally took an opportunity to go do some shooting this afternoon. I had got my parts back from the machine shop for the bolt modification to Tom's Reminigton and still have not shot it. So I grabbed the Remington and the shooting grear and ran to the farm.

The mission was to shoot BH and check for cleanliness of the action after shooting. I ended up shooting 16 shots BH-209, I was throwing 120 grains of powder and shooting Speer and Lehigh bullets.

The gun is definetly cleaner that it normally is even with the Canadian conversion, but I have to say it is not as clean as a Knight with the Lehigh conversion. I certainly could live with it.
This bolt modification does not include a 209 extraction head. You need to install the primer in the nipple with the capper and extract the spent primer with the head of the extractor.
But, as you can see from the pictures, the blowback has been held to a real minimum.

I could only shoot 50 yard, without getting out into the crop fields, but even though the purpose of the shooting trip was cleanliness - the target certainly shows a lot of promise.

I think it might have done better if the 'shooter' had more patience and would allow the barrel to cool.... BH really does warm the barrel up - quicker, hotter, and longer than T7.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

WOW.....That thing shoots, and it's clean. Great job for sure.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Grouse45

I need to go back and shoot it again... I had forgot the last time I shot it that the trigger need adjusting.... It had this little bit of creap in it that bugs the heck out of me. Yesterday when I shooting I was thinking more about the pulling that little bit of creep out then trying to concentrate on the target while holding that creep... it just didn't work real well.

I did adjust it last night as I was cleaning. It seems real good right now -

One more month of 'full time' work and then I get to go back to part time retirement...
Old 07-24-2010, 08:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Nice shooting there sabotloader.. And that rifle is nice and clean. I wish they could make something for a Black Diamond XR..
Old 07-24-2010, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Nice shooting Remington. Don't you just love those Remington triggers.

I am sure with so many Black Diamonds out there some one will get around to doing a mod sooner or latter.

Al
Old 07-25-2010, 10:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Remington Re-Shoot

When I got home yesterday and was cleaning the Rem - I decided that I would go ahead and adjust to Walker trigger assembly to get the 'CREEP' out. After getting the adjustment done the trigger pull was so much sweeter...

This morning I thought the natural thing to do was go out to the farm and re-shoot the gun.... Problem - it was 9:00 0'clock in the morning and the temp was already 84*. Probably should have stayed home but, headed out to the farm. By the time I got there the temp was up to 88*, but I convinced myself I could get it done - i was just checking trigger pull.

Loaded up the same load as yesterday, MMP light tan, 120 grains of BH and a Lehigh 40/200 + a Remington STS primer. Again set the target @ 50 yards and I should also point out the bolt face on this Remington has been modified to act like a real Remington bolt in that it has a bolt face and the firing pin has been turned down to .090.

Loaded the first round and everything went as expected. The trigger pull was a 100% better and smoother. Loaded the second round and touched it off and now I am convinced the trigger was the problem yesterday. When I loaded the 3rd round I noticed the barrel was really really hot - but I thought one more would be OK... The group was looking so good I could not really quit, but the barrel was really hot now - so I decided I would blow down through to help cool it faster + I walked out to the target and back figuring that was enough time for the barrel to cool. It wasn't it was still dang hot but being the person that I am I loaded and touched #4... How can you quit now??? Hot barrel and all loaded #5 - tought I was really hot so I could over-ride the temp of the barrel... #5 sucks ruined a perfectly good group.

I really think i was melting or softening the sabot so much that it failed me - especially with a 120 grain load of BH.

Ticked! I packed everything up and headed home - last thing I did was to check the temp 92* at the bench.

I am home and the air conditioning is on - 72* feels dang nice in here....

'The target'

Old 07-25-2010, 02:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

One word - WHOOPEE!