Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Rem 700ml @ the farm... >

Rem 700ml @ the farm...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Rem 700ml @ the farm...

Old 02-09-2010, 01:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Rem 700ml @ the farm...

Well I got what I think is the final bushing installed in the Rem bolt and headed to the farm. I have been searching for the correct thickness of bushing to allow smooth loading for all of the different primers + allow for a near blow back free breech area after shooting multiple shots.

Today I shot 26 shots at the farm and I am very happy with the results of the testing. The breech area remained relatively clean and free of debris... the target was not great - I think i was having one of those days, but I was shooting a combination different bullets, different sabots, and different primers.

The bushing that is in the bolt now does apply pressure to the longer primers and does fit the shorter primers very well.

Here is a picture of the breech area after shooting this morning.

Here is the target with the velocites from this mornings activities... The grouping is not great and I think this gun will shoot far better than the target shows. I did not track the hit locations so there really is not much use for the target other than the velocites for those that might be interested....

Old 02-09-2010, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

The shooting is'nt all that bad Mike......the velosities are a little high, Im sure a little less powder will tighten them groups up. Nice Clean Breech, we all have them days when trying too hard to get good results too fast. Im sure the next time out it'll all come togeather. Rome was'nt made in a day.
Best of luck to you, you'll get er!
(BP)
Old 02-09-2010, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mike, I always preferred a (Bolt Action) Gun, there so much more accurate, IMO. Can someone buy one of these coverted as your's? or is this one a special customized one of a kind?
(BP)
Old 02-09-2010, 06:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Breechplug

When it is all said and done I will probably be shooting 120 grains of the T7, but i will not be able to use the XTP - it will be the Lehigh or the 40/180 Gold Dot - Gold Dots really like the faster velocity.

Can someone buy one of these coverted as your's? or is this one a special customized one of a kind?
They are a custom job, but it is pretty simple Dave Mundy, my machinist, thinks the machine work will run right @ $60 max - but I still need to get it tested in another Rem 700ml... Hopefully that will happen sooner than later....
Old 02-09-2010, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Breechplug

When it is all said and done I will probably be shooting 120 grains of the T7, but i will not be able to use the XTP - it will be the Lehigh or the 40/180 Gold Dot - Gold Dots really like the faster velocity.

They are a custom job, but it is pretty simple Dave Mundy, my machinist, thinks the machine work will run right @ $60 max - but I still need to get it tested in another Rem 700ml... Hopefully that will happen sooner than later....
Sabotloader
I'd be willing to use whatever bullet works out of it and does the job with accuracy and preformance. When all said and done with the cost of the ML and the custom job, what's it cost??? What do I need to buy and have done to get one of these?
(BP)
Old 02-09-2010, 07:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Breechplug

I'd be willing to use whatever bullet works out of it and does the job with accuracy and preformance. When all said and done with the cost of the ML and the custom job, what's it cost??? What do I need to buy and have done to get one of these?
Well fortunately the Remington 700 ml will shoot justa bout anything you can put down the bore - so you would not have a look to hard for a good bullet.

Since the 700 is no longer made you have to watch the auction sites or local gunshops... Probably could pick one up for $200/$250 - then you need a 209 Convsrsion $60, and finally the bolt conversion $60 - so really it is kinda expesnive to get into one - and you still have a used rifle....

You can probably find a used Knight DISC Elite (preferred) or Extreme for about the price of a used Rem and would not need all the conversions....

The other thing if every thing goes right... you might be able to buy a new Knight Ultimate Slam in the future...
Old 02-09-2010, 07:46 PM
Dominant Buck

That is good shooting.. how picky can you get. And that sure does make a difference in the bolt and the amount of fouling. I wanted to shoot today but it was snowing, windy, and not real comfortable actually outside.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like you have made alot of progress with that Remington. Your groups look more like vertical stringing to me. Increasing the powder will usually fix that.