Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Chapter 3 Rem 700 @ the Farm >

Chapter 3 Rem 700 @ the Farm

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Chapter 3 Rem 700 @ the Farm

Old 01-20-2010, 01:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Chapter 3 Rem 700 @ the Farm

Where to start...

Remington Bolt Conversion - Field Testing

With the new bushing installed in the end of the modified Remington Bolt, I headed to the farm to get some shooting in. Had a couple of goals in mind. Of course the first one was to see how much blow back I was able to eliinate with the new set-up, second I wanted to try the new to me chrono I just got, and third i wanted to shoot some BH from the gun.

Another change - I want to tell you about. You can see I removed the 'copper' weather shroud - that I felt was necessary for protection from flying primer parts and replaced it with a segment of a simple 20 gage shot gun hull. I was very confident the primer would not come apart and I was pretty confident I would not be getting large amounts of blow back pressure in the breech. I am glad to say both conerns were non-concerns...

At the farm I set the target at what I thought was about 25 yards and the chrono about 12' off the muzzle. Back at the shooting bench I did check the target with the range finder - it was actually 34 yards and 4 degrees up angle. The range finder also read 41 degrees for air temp - great day for shooting.

I had already decided to shoot the XTP's, T7-2f, and Winchester T7 primers first. The T7 are not noted for being the cleanest primer in the world so I thought that would be a good test for primer blow back. The Win T7 primers are the ongest primer I use and when I closed the bolt on them there was some resistance to closing. Nothing bad or real tight but definitely snug. I shot 5 primers at the ground - check the breech not material at all - hard to prove I shot any primers.

Next I loaded up the first shot, a Hornady XTP in a MMP sabot, 110 grains of T7. Touched the it off and checked the breech - clean! Used the capper to pull the spent primer out - If I had finger nails i would have been able to use them. A point here not only are the T7 the longest primer I have they are also the skinniest... there is a lot of room in the primer holder. Shot this load 3 more times with the same results. Group#1

Next I decided I wanted to try some Lehigh Gold .40/200 HP's so I broke out the box and shot two of them... could not force myself to shoot anymore of them at paper at 34 yards - money down the drain. Group #2

Then the switch to BH-209 (Black Gold) shooting a Cheddite 209 primer... Excellent instantaneous ignition... Still shot 110 grain of BH, with a Harvester 4540 sabot and a .41cal 210 grain speer Gold Dot... Group #3

I hope you can see in the pictures the total lack of blow back anywhere in the breech area...

There is a negative(s) - or it will be a negative for some. My conversion has no means of extracting the spent primer. You will need a tool to that with. I was using the TC primer tool and it was a pretty simple. For myself and even hunting it would not be much of a problem

The other negative - I could not get the chrono to read the bullet - it would only read the sabot - but that might be a elctronic problem with the chrono reading the second object through...

Here is a picture of todays episode... I have other pictures of the breech if you-all would like to see them...

Oh! and I thought the gun with that cheap old (and I mean old probably been on one muzzleloader or another for 5-6 years now) $49 Tasco rifle scope shot pretty good as well...

Last edited by sabotloader; 01-20-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

WOW.....that's really clean to me.

12 feet is to far for the Chrono. IMO
Old 01-20-2010, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats some good groups there SL, very clean to.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

And we have a WINNER!!!

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?
Old 01-20-2010, 05:06 PM
Dominant Buck

WOW!!! that rifle and you are a shooter. So do you think you finally have it all figured out?
Old 01-20-2010, 06:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dave

I think I am really close... I might take 2 more thousands of the insert to insure that it will work in most if not all Rems...

The only other thing that bothers me is since the nose of the primer is held tight against the primer floor in the BP - the back pressure is unable to move the primer back and leak so it does swell the primer a bit. But, again for me it is an easy matter to pick it out with a TC primer pick. It wall not just fall out nor are you going to get it out with your fingernail...
Old 01-20-2010, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Dave

I think I am really close... I might take 2 more thousands of the insert to insure that it will work in most if not all Rems...

The only other thing that bothers me is since the nose of the primer is held tight against the primer floor in the BP - the back pressure is unable to move the primer back and leak so it does swell the primer a bit. But, again for me it is an easy matter to pick it out with a TC primer pick. It wall not just fall out nor are you going to get it out with your fingernail...
Mike, mabey the longer primer and tight fit and the swelling after the shot is a good thing as it eliminates most of the blowback. Nice Conversion and good shooting!
(BP) p.s. quit biting your finger nails! LOL!
Old 01-20-2010, 07:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Breechplug

p.s. quit biting your finger nails!
I really really wish i didn't ... but I think I am a lost cause...

mabey the longer primer and tight fit and the swelling after the shot is a good thing as it eliminates most of the blowback
I agree and I am sure it does... but some are not going to like it. It is OK with me because I have the right tool to remove the spent primer.... But I really do like the clean breech area and if you can afford to shoot BH you should like it also...

Still think I am going to let off a bit.

I have an extra bushing so I think I will have him reduce it from .090 to .086 - the current one in the gun is a .088.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mike, Im gonna try and not look stupid here, but is the Rem 700 as Im sure it is a Rifle you converted to a ML??
(BP)
Old 01-21-2010, 02:48 AM
Typical Buck

BP,
It looks like a factory mz.......check out the set screw that holds the bolt from coming out. The 700 is next on my list to buy and the set screw for me is an easy way to tell from a far.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.