Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
My best deer yet!! (pics) >

My best deer yet!! (pics)

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

My best deer yet!! (pics)

Old 11-16-2009, 08:00 PM
Typical Buck

Default My best deer yet!! (pics)

Well the Hornady FPB did it again,but im not braggin on the bullet this time..At 7:30am 11-14-09 (sat) ,I heard something coming,I was hunting on an oak flat and I could see through the trees pretty good and caught the glimpse of a deer running with his head down,I knew it was a buck.Well he kept zig zaging on that oak flat,like he was chaseing does,but there were no does there.

He starts to me,and right when I think he is coming out in the open,he zigs the other way and dis appears in the thick for a good min..I grab my grunt call and grunt 4 times,put it back and sure enough,here he comes,walking straight to me! He gets to 20 yds and he is still behind some little branches,I let the hammer down,smoke flys and he runs off.I can't see him..

When the smoke clears I listen,holding my breath to listen for crashing,I hear none! My heart sank..I climb down go look where he was standing,No blood,I am about ready to puke,so I walk the way he ran,about 50 yds into my walk,I hear thrashing in the leaves,I look foward and see white belly through a small pine tree..I hit my knees and thank the lord! I start over to him and thats when it hit me,he was huge!! I had no idea how big he was when I shot him.I can't believe it,he is my biggest deer to date,he is a main frame 9pt,but he has some small kickers coming off the back that are over 1 inch long,so I counted them!! Im pumped. I found out why he was aacting like he was chaseing does, when I was looking for him/ sign, I found probably 4 or 5 deer beds where deer had been beded down,Im assumeing that does were beded down there and I bumped them up when I was climbing my tree...

I only had intentions of takeing a doe this weekend..What abig plus this was,back to the bullet,It didn't leavea good blood trail this time,I took a quartering to shot.Oh well,its in the books now and the FPB did kill it! All in all he ran maybe 60 yds..I toook him off of the 30acre place I got permission to hunt this summer.Shot him out of the same tree I shot my bow deer out of on OCT 19...What do you guys think he will age at? He has alot of mass,Not sure if you can tell in the pics or not,but he is thick..Any idea on a score? I've never cared about it,but he is my biggest..

Old 11-16-2009, 08:24 PM
Dominant Buck

That is a nice big deer. Good body mass and a nice rack. As for what he'd score, I never was any good at guessing that. But you got a heck of a nice buck there.

I see some blood way back on the rear quarter of that deer. No idea if it was a entry of exit but I am guessing an exit. Maybe he was hit too far back and that is why he did not bleed too much.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice buck! Congrats. I would guess a score but you don't need one, he's a nice trophy in any book.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey Brushbustin, it looks to me as if he will score about 70 lbs. of edible lean meat (assuming a live weight around 160 lbs). I would guess his age at 3 1/2 - he's certainly no younger than that. He's a brute and would be a bragging trophy in my hunting club. CONGRATULATIONS!
Old 11-17-2009, 12:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

He's a dandy brushbustin. Congratulations on a terrific buck.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats on a nice buck
Old 11-17-2009, 04:22 AM
Fork Horn

Nice buck bro!
Old 11-17-2009, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have never shot a WT so that one looks great to me. Good job! Ron
Old 11-17-2009, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice Buck, Congratulations on him! From looking at him and a quick field guess I'd say he's probably a 2 1/2 year old, with the deductions on his sticker points and short brow tines and not being real wide I'd guess him to score around 100-105" B&C, dont get me wrong he's a Nice Buck.
Measure his (maximun) inside spread and write it down, neaxt measure both main beam length and write it down. Measure his (Typical) points from where they come off the top of the main beams on both sides and write it down. Next measure his (4) main beam circumferences at there smallest parts, the 4 measurements are taken (1) at the base of the main beams, (2) after the brow tine inbetween the first point, (3) inbetween the second and third point, (4) inbetween the third and fourth point. Add up all your total's for each side seperate. Now take your (differences) between the measurements from both sides and (subtract) them. Example.....your main beam length on the right side is 18" and the left side was 17 1/2" so you'd (deduct) 1/2" of your score for the final score. Or say your right brow tine was 4" and your left was 3 3/4" so again you'd deduct a 1/4". Do this with all your points and main beams and circumferences from both sides. Also say you have 4 points on one side and only 3 on the other, you'd deduct the total length of that point as there is no match on the other side. Next measure your lengths of your (sticker) points or abnormal points and deduct them from your final score.
Now take your main beam length and inside spread length and deduct the differences between the two. Add up your score and this will give you a close guess as to what is will score.
As for (age) of your Buck the only real way to tell his age is from his teeth and the wear.
Again Nice Buck!
(BP)
Old 11-17-2009, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's a good lookin' buck. I'd definitely shoot him. He might score in the 110s; some width and losing those abnormal points woulda made for a better score, but who cares?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.