Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
How do you clean the cavity in the breech plug >

How do you clean the cavity in the breech plug

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How do you clean the cavity in the breech plug

Old 10-28-2009, 02:48 PM
Fork Horn

Question How do you clean the cavity in the breech plug

I have a T/C white mtn carbine with a green mtn LRH barrel. I was cleaning after a range session today and shone the light down the barrel after I thought I was done. I noticed a cavity at the bottom in what I presume is the breech plug. It is a smaller diameter than the bore, and I looked and there was still black crud in there. Is there a special tool to get in there and scrub it out? The jag and patch can't get in there.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:55 PM
Dominant Buck

There are scrappers you can buy. What your looking at is the cone of the breech plug. I clean them with a wire brush for a 30 caliber. Dump some solvent down there then push that 30 caliber brush down there, twist it clockwise but be careful not to turn it off. Then after your done, use a water bath and flush that cone out.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:04 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks. Dave I'll try that. I was hoping someone made a brush with the bristles pointing out the end. HMMM maybe there's a market for such a thing?
Old 10-28-2009, 04:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Get yourself a 1/4" x 36" hardwood dowel from the hardware store. Cut a slot about 3/4" deep in one end with a hacksaw blade, and round it off. Use a small patch in the slot to clean the patent breech - push it in and pull it out with a twisting motion. No - it won't come off. I use this one for my Renegade's GM barrels and my Great Plains flintlock.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Deleted by falcon.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:27 AM
Typical Buck

The fouling scraper with the rounded edge on the bottom right may be made by TC. You can carve a scraper with a rounded blade that's the right size to fit your powder chamber out of the wooden dowel that has already been mentioned.

Last edited by arcticap; 10-29-2009 at 01:05 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
There are scrappers you can buy. What your looking at is the cone of the breech plug. I clean them with a wire brush for a 30 caliber. Dump some solvent down there then push that 30 caliber brush down there, twist it clockwise but be careful not to turn it off. Then after your done, use a water bath and flush that cone out.
I do the exact same thing. And I use a T/C firing channel brush and some pipe cleaners to clean the firing channel.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use my dremmel tool with a little cone shapped tip and I put Flitz on it.I use a low speed
Like a mirror.I have a thin wire nipple pick for the flash hole and I know it's not getting as clean as it could.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by saxman1
I use my dremmel tool with a little cone shapped tip and I put Flitz on it.I use a low speed
Like a mirror.I have a thin wire nipple pick for the flash hole and I know it's not getting as clean as it could.
Thanks! I never thought to use a Dremmel. I'll have to give that a try.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a breech plug brush from Log Cabin