Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Endeavor and .430/265gr. FTX range report >

Endeavor and .430/265gr. FTX range report

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Endeavor and .430/265gr. FTX range report

Old 10-10-2009, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default Endeavor and .430/265gr. FTX range report

Went to the range this morning to get the Endeavor sighted in for the upcoming blackpowder season. I had sanded the ears on the new stock and floated the barrel to make sure there was no contact with the barrel.

I wanted to see if I could get the first shot of the day to shoot in the group. I have been using the Montana Extreme bore conditioner and the other day I posted a question on what everyone else was doing to get their barrel ready for the first shot. I decided to try what Cayugad said. I used a couple of dry patches, then an alcohol patch followed by two more dry patches and then fired two primers to foul the barrel. To my sruprise, the first shot was less than an inch from the rest of the group. This made the group some where under 2 inches. I was happy with that.

The group was about 1 inch low and an inch to the right so I adjusted the scope up three inches and one inch back to the left. Then I tried another group. The first two shots almost touched. I was getting excited. Trying not to think about the possibility of a sub one inch group I reloaded and fired the third shot. The last one opened the group up to just over an inch best I can tell. I was using 110gr of BH209, a .430/265gr. Hornady FTX and a Harvester green Sabot. The temp was about 75 degrees with a 5-10 mph breeze in my face. Since I had other guns to shoot I that decided that would have to be enough for the muzzleloader today. Here are some pictures I took when I got back to the house. Didn't get any from the range. I forgot the camera. Oh yea, I was shooting 110 yards.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:56 AM
Dominant Buck

That is some outstanding shooting there.. and a beautiful rifle and set up. With that load you are all set for anything you want to hunt. Good luck the upcoming season.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

That is some really good shooting. Know a guy who uses the Hornady 265 grain .430 flat point bullet for all his hunting including elk.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Excellent SH! That sho`nuff is a prutty gun.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:31 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the kind words guys. I hope the bullet works as well on game as it soes on paper.