Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Another 700 ml

Old 08-12-2009, 07:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Another 700 ml

Well, today was get-away day for the State Trail Cat - He took his machine and is headed north to work on another Forest.

So! I am retired again - but I gotta admit it was really fun getting out in the timber again. Got to see a few Moose, a bunch of elk, and whitetails all over the place - they really looked good.

But back on topic - I picked up a 700 ml for Grouse awhile back and have been trying to get it ready to go shoot - but work has delayed the project. I have put a Cabelas 3x9x40 Powder Horn ML scope on it and tonight I finished the last part of the project - I got the new hammer installed in the bolt and the new Canadian nipple in the breech plug. It is ready to shoot.

It is 45 cal, which really should suit Tom well as he is a 45 fanatic and for whitetail why would you need anymore? The Remington has a 1/28 twist slightly faster than a 45 cal Knight, so both he and I are hoping it will shoot the Lehigh .40/200 very well.

Here is what it all looks like...

First pic shows the Rem SS/Black composite 45 cal. It was used but it was used very lightly...

Second one shows it with the Cabelas installed...

Third pic shows the copper weather shield installed on the end of the bolt. For shooting BH-209 with this pluger style gun the shield is added protection for both you and the scope, even with T7 it is a good thought.

Now that I am retired again I am hoping to sneak out in the morning and touch a few rounds off - at least get it sighted in...
Old 08-12-2009, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you feel left out of the rat race, you can come buck my corporate politics for a few days so I can finally get out and sling some lead....
Old 08-12-2009, 07:50 PM
Dominant Buck

very nice looking set up. It will be interesting to see your range report.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

spaniel

you can come buck my corporate politics
Never happen... I am not very "politcally correct" - EVER!
Old 08-12-2009, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the exact same rifle. Bass Pro had a bunch of them about 3 years ago on sale and several guys around here got one. Why did you have to put in a new hammer and what is a Canadian nipple? I really like mine, it really shoots well.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where can you get those copper weather shields? I don't use the one that came with my gun. It would help keep the scope clean, though.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

isatarak

The Canadian Conversion (or the old Cabelas Conversion) is much cleaner than the Remington conversion. The Canadian conversion does not leak near as much pressure reducing velocity as does the Remington 209 nipple and is designed for better ignition of the load. The Remington 209 nipple is designed to leak.

The Canadian nipple conversion requires a different hammer than the stock Remington 209 hammer.

I make the weather shroud from copper tubing - the factory shroud will not last to long before you burn a whole through it.

http://armurierlavaltrie.com/remkit.html
Old 08-13-2009, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looks really good. Probably need a 50 sometime as well.