Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Went hog hunting and pulled a DOUBLE! **PICS and Story** >

Went hog hunting and pulled a DOUBLE! **PICS and Story**

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Went hog hunting and pulled a DOUBLE! **PICS and Story**

Old 07-05-2009, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Went hog hunting and pulled a DOUBLE! **PICS and Story**

So I decided to go after an "eater" hog this morning. I've got numerous trail cam pictures of this one particular sow and she looked good for the taking. I showed up this morning at about 0600 and settled into my blind. I turned on the Therma-Cell, set-up my shooting sticks, and waited. The feeder went off at 0618. Right around 0700 I saw a brown boar come walking out from the left. Shortly after he showed himself I saw that the sow I was after was right behind him. I gave them a few minutes to get comfortable and to let my heart rate settle down and then I put my Endeavor on the shooting sticks and cocked the hammer. I waited until the sow was broadside and the boar was clear, lined up on her left shoulder, and squeezed. BANG! I dropped her right in her tracks and the boar stood there for a few seconds checking her out as she did the funky chicken. He took off and while I was reloading, he came back for another look. But he took off again.

I estimate the sow at about 80 pounds. Here's the first pic my trail cam took this morning...

And here's the second pic it took. Notice the dead hog. I guess her squirming caused it to take another pic...

And here's what she looked like up close...

Now here's the double part I was referring to in the title. I KILLED MY FEEDER! After I loaded the hog up I went back and checked out the crime scene. I noticed I had punched a hole in one of the legs on my feeder when I shot the hog... So my bullet went through the feeder leg and didn't deflect on it's way through the hog. I almost didn't notice it because I hit the sow pretty much where I was aiming. I guess it may have deflected a little being that the entry wound was a little forward and up. Being that I was so focused on the sow, I didn't even notice the feeder leg was in my line of sight...

Notice the blood in the background...

I couldn't believe it! How often does something like that happen?!?!

Here's some pics of the damage done to the hog. This is the entry wound...

This is the exit wound...

And here's an inside shot...

She's definitely a good eater. I fried up a small piece of backstrap when I got home and it was nice and tender.

I was hunting from my ground blind at 53 yards from the feeder. I was using my TC Encore Endeavor loaded with 120g Blackhorn 209, a 250g Barnes T-EZ with MMP HPH-12 sabot, and a CCI 209M primer.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Went hog hunting and pulled a DOUBLE! **PICS and Story**

Looks like some good eatin'. I've hit limbs between what I was shooting at and myself but never a steel bar

Congrats!
Old 07-05-2009, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

So the Barnes went clean through a 1" or so steel pole and still dropped the pig DRT. Gotta love them Barnes bullets. I wish we had feral hogs around here. I'd love to build up a nearly free supply of pork steaks. Mmmm!

Mike
Old 07-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on the pig.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

driftrider

Collateral Damage! Alum-num pipe support. But still a nice clean harvest.

SW

Was there and exit? Looking a the rib cage photo - I can not tell for sure..

And then it really looks you might have gooten triple damage... as in the first photo all three legs look in good shape... then the 2nd photo looks like you got bends in the two of the thre if not the 3rd.

Congrats!
Old 07-05-2009, 01:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think that second picture was right at the shot and the legs were still flexing from the impact.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

SL: Yeah, the exit is in the picture. The entrance was above the rib cage. The hole you see was created by the bullets hitting the rib cage on its way out.

Semi: It's just the way the Cuddeback takes pictures sometimes. The legs look blurry. I've got several pictures just like that one.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome!!! You're really working on thinning down the hog population in your part of the state - I'm jealous
Old 07-05-2009, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was gonna ask what bullet you were using as I read the post from the beginning as the entry wound in the first picture looked a little big, but as I read on the reason became clear Got a little pre-expansion on that bullet I think.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: spaniel

I was gonna ask what bullet you were using as I read the post from the beginning as the entry wound in the first picture looked a little big, but as I read on the reason became clear Got a little pre-expansion on that bullet I think.
Yeah, these Barnes bullets just continue to impress me every time I use them.

The picture of the hog with my rifle on it is the exit wound.

Quick Reply: Went hog hunting and pulled a DOUBLE! **PICS and Story**

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.