Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

bullet tumble

Old 07-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Spike

Default bullet tumble

I have a 50 cal black diamond and I am using (2) triple 7 magnum pellets and a 300gr. barnes expander sabot but I noticed the red sabot only covers half of the bullet i just bought some other sabots the hornady black they cover 80% of the bullet and it takes more presure to seat the bullet hopefully this will work just looking to see if anyone else had any ideas
Old 07-04-2009, 03:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: bullet tumble

The 300 gr bullets are very long when they are all copper are very long the longer a bullet is the faster the twist needed to stabilize it. Having the max amount of sabot so there is no slipage might help a little also using max loads might help as the faster a bullet goes the faster it spins. If your sabot is to loose and allows the bullet to slip it can cause this problem.
If nothing else works try a shorter bullet. Lee
Old 07-04-2009, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

fred,

How was it grouping before you changed sabots?
Old 07-04-2009, 03:39 PM
Spike

I was using hornady 250 gr sst with (2) triple seven pellets and it would do a 2 1/2" group at 200 yds but I found tha tthere was no expansionor significant blood loss when I shot a 8 point buck at 75 yds. The year before I shot a 12 point buck at 145 yds with 12 ga 3" magum barnes expander and it dropped the deer rate on the spot but the hornady's the buck took off and i could not find until 3 days later and that is when i found the sst slug so that is why I changed

I talked to the balistics people at barnes about this tumbling and they told me that the 300 gr slug needs a 1 in 26 to stablize but I checked on the net and I cannot find a 50 cal rifle with that rate of twist it seems they all are 1 in 28. I cant see them making a 300 gr sabot if 95 % of the rifles are 1 in 28 I am going to northern quebec to hunt moose this fall so i want to try and find a good load for a 25 to 150 yd shot
Old 07-04-2009, 04:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

fred2012

Fred. the Barnes is an extremly long bullet and if you are going to shoot it from a 1/28 you really need to drive it.

2 - 50 grain pellets of T7 probably will not be enough charge to get it done. 100 grains of pellets is equal to about 100 grains of Loose BP or Pyro.

Recently i shot some 300 grain Lehigh bullets and got them to shoot extremly well for me. The Lehigh is an all brass bullet and like the all copper Barnes it take a lot of length to get a bullet that weighs 300 grains.

Here is a picture of the comparison...

You can see they are about equal length. The only way you are going to get accuracy from this length bullet is to shoot then fast enough to really have them spin fast enough to stabilze. Check Lee's post as he discusses the same thing.

If you must shoot pellets you have a couple of options...
a) Shoot 3 pellets which will equal about 150 of BP/Pyro
b) Purchase T7 Mag Pellets and then you can shoot 2 pellets
c) Switch to loose powder.

I think you will need to shot 120/130 grains of BP/Pyro to get then to the speed they need. I shoot them with 110 grains of loose T7-2f and they shoot very well.

Another option is to shoot a shorter bullet as Lee has suggested - I normally use a Nosler Partiton - either a .452/300 grain or a .458/300 grain (.458 being my favorite right now today, but that may change this hunting as I am going to try a new bullet)

This a target with my first attempt at shooting these very long bullets... The Lehighs punched very neat holes...

Might take a peek at this thread - I used a Nosler on this cow elk... great results.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.a...2celk&#2771545

Old 07-05-2009, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd acquire some of the 300gr Noslers that sabotloader mentions since you say you are hunting moose. I would be concerned about under-penetration with the Barnes. My experience with them out of shotguns is similar to yours, they do catastrophic damage, but the price you pay for that is reduced penetration. Not a concern on deer, but moose are another story.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:09 AM
Spike

Guys

You are amazing this morning I went out to the farm and set up a sheet of plywood and what i did was used hornady sabaot part number 6751 and my 300 gr mz expanders with 2 triple seven magnum pellets and at70 yds free standing fired 10 shots and no bullet tumble the group size could be covered with a clay pigeon easily so then i tried(3) 50 gr pyrodex pellets and used a fence post and shot from 85 yds and the grouping was tighter. i then set up my cronigraph and shot one threw and it came in at 2290 ft / sec do you think that is a good moose load for a 100 yd shot and thanks again for all your help and advice tha tyou give I love reading all the topics
Fred
Old 07-05-2009, 08:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Not suprised at your results Fred. When I shot the Barnes MZ expanders out of my black diamond XR I was pushing them to the max. The accuracy was amazing, and there is nothing that wants to be hit by that train... Lots of powder, penetration and perfect expansion.

I tested the barnes in wet paper once.. It blew through more wet paper then I ever dreamed possible. Took a long time to clean up the mess and never did find the bullet, but the expansion in that wet media was most impressive.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fred2012

Guys

You are amazing this morning I went out to the farm and set up a sheet of plywood and what i did was used hornady sabaot part number 6751 and my 300 gr mz expanders with 2 triple seven magnum pellets and at 70 yds free standing fired 10 shots and no bullet tumble the group size could be covered with a clay pigeon easily so then i tried (3) 50 gr pyrodex pellets and used a fence post and shot from 85 yds and the grouping was tighter. i then set up my cronigraph and shot one threw and it came in at 2290 ft / sec do you think that is a good moose load for a 100 yd shot and thanks again for all your help and advice tha tyou give I love reading all the topics
Fred
I think it's a good load, but I don't think your chronograph is accurate. No way it's going that fast. You should get in the neighborhood of 1850-1950 fps.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:58 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: fred2012

I have a 50 cal black diamond and I am using (2) triple 7 magnum pellets and a 300gr. barnes expander sabot but I noticed the red sabot only covers half of the bullet i just bought some other sabots the hornady black they cover 80% of the bullet and it takes more presure to seat the bullet hopefully this will work just looking to see if anyone else had any ideas

fred2012
use the .250 gr. BARNES EXPANDER MZ with 2 T7 pellets with the orange sabot and your problem will be solved . the 250 gr. bullet is more than enough for big game ..i made some tests on the range at 100yds.and was very satisfied with the results ..as for 200yards i say u r pushing it a little bit ..

Quick Reply: bullet tumble

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.