Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Shooting a New Knight Vision... >

Shooting a New Knight Vision...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shooting a New Knight Vision...

Old 05-13-2009, 05:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Shooting a New Knight Vision...

Very first time in the field almost right out of the box...

I'll post the target first, so you can see the positive then I will complain, but not to hard...

This is the first 13 shots from a brand new gun. I was shooting it for a friend as he had sent it to me to shorten the length of pull and install a Limbsaver recoil pad.

That is complaint #1... the LOP and the positioning of the scope on the barrel make it awful tough for short armed people to get to the scope. The two alternatives are use a scope like the Omega with a long eye relief or use a set of extended rings.

Positive point #1 Knight really does use a good stock and even though the Vision does have a small air pocket under the recoil pad - there is plenty of workable stock to install a new grind to fit pad.

Positive point #2 After 22 shots the new Vision breech plug does controla the amount of blow back in the breech area it is relatively clean and of course nothing showing on the scope.

Complaint #2 - I have for the first time in shooting all of my guns ran into the difficult 'crud ring' that people talk about. I am not sure why but i am sure the design of the breech plug (flat faced) makes some difference. It was terrible! Next time out I will be shooting BH even as much as hurts my wallet, hoping that will make a big difference.

Compliant #3 - I am not sure of what the problem might be but that is my challenge tomorrow... I could not get it to shoot all the different primers that i have. I tried Winchester T7 primers, Remington 209-4's, Winchester W209. None of these would fire consistently but a Cheddite 209 shot every time. I have work to do to figure out this problem... Here is a picture of two primers a T7 primer (black) and Cheddite - even on the Cheddite the dimple is just barely there on the T7 - one that did go off- you can just barely see the impression... Well you can not see the impression in the T7 primer but look how shallow it is in the Cheddite

Positive #3 - I think the gun can shoot well...

There are a lot of other really good things about this gun but I think they have been mentioned before...

More later....
Old 05-13-2009, 06:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Shooting a New Knight Vision...

Good report Sabotloader. I wonder if the primer problem would go away ifyou backed out the breech plug a 1/4 turn or so.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semi

I am really proud of myself - I followed the Semisanerules - at least a 5 shot group... and I even thought about it...

I wondered the same thing - I did loosen it just a bit but it dod not help and I really hate shooting with a loose BP... there is a Murphy's Law about that...

I may have found the problem, when I cleaned the gun I did NOT disasemble the firing pin mechanism - when i opened it up tonight there was a heavy grease in the. I am going to clean it up tomorrow and shoot some primers in the garage... See if I can get it to work...
Old 05-13-2009, 07:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am really proud of myself - I followed the Semisanerules - at least a 5 shot group...
That's easy when the bullet holes are cutting each other. You don't want to stop shooting.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:16 PM
Dominant Buck

nice shooting.. that is some great groups
Old 05-13-2009, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep awesome groups. Thats a keeper.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mike, I would think about pulling the firing pin and cleaning that area. The smallest shaving in the wrong place can do it.I have also heard that there is an issuewith the spring tension that is causing this problem and that it is an easy fix that can be obtained by calling Knight. I have heard some directions but they sounded kind of mixed up so I won't repeat them.Lee
Old 05-14-2009, 09:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Lee

I would think about pulling the firing pin and cleaning that area. The smallest shaving in the wrong place can do it.
Tore down this morning and cleaned it + polished the pin... Still no glory, but I am sure that I found the problem. The locking lug is also the same lug that re-cocks the hammer. When you lock the gun up that lug slides out over the lug welded to the barrel. If you slam the action shut you can get the lug to slide on the barrel lug a little deeper, but it still does not allow the trigger full contact to the firing pin. I am sure I could fix it myself but it is a brand new gun and I certainly do not want to void the warrant - so I am thinking I will send it to Knight in Alabama...

One thing I did find you can close the hammer on the firing pin without dry firing. Some was asking about that but can not remember who or where.... Any way to close the hammer extend the locking lever to full cock, then pull the trigger as you are closing the locking lever.... Just like a bolt action. No dry firing needed...