Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Samantha's First Turkey >

Samantha's First Turkey

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Samantha's First Turkey

Old 04-07-2009, 03:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Samantha's First Turkey

I recently had the honor and privilege of guiding my 11 year old granddaughter Samantha on her first Turkey hunt. Sam is a great girl with a wonderful sense of humor. She's athletic and loves sports, especially baseball and soccer. I figured the time was right for a little Turkey Safari.

Here's Sam with my 12 Gauge Pedersoli double caplock. Beautiful girl/great gun.

I thought you guys might enjoy a recap of the hunt, so here it is:

We loaded up in my little white Ford Ranger and headed out a little later in the day than you usually would for turkey, but I wasn't much worried. We were heading to a spot where I've seen turkeys just about every time I've been there. Mornings, mid-day or afternoon - this place always seems to have birds.

I could tell by her grin that Sam was excited as we pulled into the parking lot. I was a little surprised at the number of other hunters out this time of the day, but told Sam to remain confident. Our hearts were hammering as we made our way down the aisle between the potato chips and pickles. But when I turned into the canned goods aisle Sam had a puzzled look on her face. "Grandfather"she said (she calls me Grandfather) "why are we walking so slow behind that lady with the big boobs and red dress?"

"Shush" I whispered, "the turkeys might hear you." Then I quietly explained that it's a well know fact among hunters that the biggest turkeys tend to congregate around big boobed women in red dresses, so I thought it might be a good idea to follow her for a while. I think Sam doubted me though, because she said "let's go that way. I'm sure the turkeys are over there." I was amazed at this display of innate terrain reading skill.

There was a definite drop in temperature as we approached the Northern limits of the hunting area. There were several other hunters around, and I could see the consternation on their faces when I gave a few yelps, clucks and putts with my cedar box call. I think they were probably envious of the quality of my calling.

I had hardly finished a short series of putts when Sam spotted a group of turkeys. That little gal didn't even hesitate in selecting the one she wanted to take. It was over in a flash. The bird she took wasn't the biggest one in the group, but still excellent for a first bird. She was calm as could be, but I was so proud I could hardly stop shaking.

And, of course, you just have to take pictures after a successful hunt. Here's Sam with her first bird.

Last edited by Semisane; 07-07-2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Samantha's First Turkey

Great story and fantastic hunt
Old 04-07-2009, 03:38 PM
Dominant Buck

You have a great grand daughter there Semisane. What was it... her turn to walk Grandpa today? She must have been proud to come home to the family with so many turkeys... (just kidding.. she's adorable and I enjoyed your little ruse a lot)
Old 04-07-2009, 03:44 PM
mountaineer magic

Congrats on a great hunt. At least you avoided the rush of the fall turkey season. Nice gun by the way. I have a couple of pedersolis but no shotgun. I have a 58 cal Double barrel kodiak and the Gibbs. You should send that shot gun up here so I can learn to use it before I get one

Old 04-07-2009, 03:46 PM
Typical Buck

Nothing "semi" about that story...it's total in@%$*&^!!!!

Really, thanks for a great entertaining turkey "tale".
Old 04-07-2009, 04:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Boy of boy Semi - you've been teetering on the fence between sane and insane for too long. I think you are either falling toward the insane side or you are having way too much free time on your hands.
I just hope that cute grand daughter of yours doesn't get caught up in your insanity.
And there you were with a camera and never even got a picture of the red dress, big boobed woman you were following. Tsk, tsk, tsk.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:12 PM
Typical Buck

Got any picks of the beard? or spurs?
Old 04-07-2009, 06:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Got any picks of the beard? or spurs?
Couldn't find them in the package.I did get a nice close-up of the giblets, but hesitated to post that picture. Didn't want to upset the PETA monitors.

Last edited by Semisane; 07-07-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wish turkey hunting was that easy sometimes,great story
Old 04-07-2009, 08:16 PM
Typical Buck

That was too good! You had me wondering at first where did they have Turkey's in La.? Oh ya! Winndixie!

Quick Reply: Samantha's First Turkey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.