Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Missouri firearm opener >

Missouri firearm opener

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Missouri firearm opener

Old 11-21-2008, 06:56 AM

Default Missouri firearm opener

So, I have been lurking around here for a while and thought it was about time I made a post. For the MO firearms opener, I was fortunate enough to get an invitation to hunt my friend's family's farm in Pike County. I brought my CVA Optima Pro, intending to use it, as I had never shot anything but paper with it, but I also brought a .270 as backup. I was informed that the average shot here was aroung 200 yards which kind of concerned me with the muzzleloader, but we set up a 200 yard target, and turns out I could reach out there pretty well.
Opening morning was cold and windy. We didn't see a thing. We went out aroun 2pm for the evening hunt, and I was shaping up to be much the same with snow added. At around 3pm, I saw one deer but it was about 400 yards away. I was beginning to think it wasn't going to happen. I sat for a while longer and saw something to my left. One doe, then two, then a buck nosing them. They stopped about 50 yards from my stand. They had the whole field to move down, but they stopped right there. I put the buck in the crosshairs, squeezed the tigger, and he dropped in his tracks. The does stood there for minute, then ran to the next field where my friend was sitting. I heard what couldn't be anything but his .300 wsm. I heard three shots. He took both the does, one of them being massive. I was shooting 150 grains 777 and 250 grain Hornady Lock n Load Speed Sabot.
He may not be enormous, but I could not be anymore pleased. He is easily my biggest deer yet, and first with a muzzleloader.

http://s477.photobucket.com/albums/r...=view¤t=8.jpg
http://s477.photobucket.com/albums/r...derdeer004.jpg

Sorry, I can't figure out how to actually post the pictures in the body of the post. Also, sorry that his tongue is hanging out in one of the pictures.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Missouri firearm opener

Old 11-21-2008, 08:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Way to go, congrats, and welcome to the forums.
I killed one the second day of opening weekend with my muzzleloader here in MO.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Welcome to the forum. Nice to have you here. If that is you in the picture underclocked posted.. that's beautiful buck. I could not get your links to open at all.

That sounds like a great load you were shooting and a bang flop is hard to pull off. Although that deer in the picture looks like a neck shot. So what do you think of your muzzleloader now?

Again, congratulations.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nice deer dasMO. Funny thing about thosetongue hanging pictures, you never seem to notice the tongue until you see the picture. The best thing to do is pull the tongue out as far as you can and cut it off before you start taking pictures.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:30 AM

YES VERY NICELY DONE INDEED..welcome to the site..You will and can learn alot from these guys.....Good going again.....
Old 11-21-2008, 09:33 AM

whats going on here-my page appears to be stuck open....maybe this will help yep-that helped--sorry for the crazy post
Old 11-21-2008, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice buck, especially for a MLer first deer. Congratulations. 45 cal bullet with 150g of 777 is a very hot load. Best Wishes,
Chap
Old 11-21-2008, 11:27 AM
Typical Buck

I'm going again this weekend as I hunt with my dad and uncle on 5 acres! That's right 5 acres in Hermann. We saw 23 deer opening weekend and I passed on 2 does, the rest we seen were on dead runs through the property. My dad did see several bucks bunched up together and not yet chasing from what we saw. My uncle shot a spike and was within the legal length on the spike restrictions. He had shot him high in the ribs and he fell down. He was using a 12 guage slug and had 1 entry hole and no exit hole when I field dressed. What I discovered was the bullet hit a rib going in and broke it, then on the other side of the ribs 2 ribs were broken and we found the slug wedged between the skin and outside the ribs. The slug had broke into 2 pieces and his shot was only 20 yards. We could not beleive that one. We got a lot of meat off him and I've got jerky for the weekend. I'm going after the 10 pointer I saw during bow season so I'll see if he's around, I hope they are chasing by now. If not we still have 2 weeks after this weekend for muzzleloading season. Nice buck and a great shot.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:18 PM

Thanks for the comments. Wasn't a neck shot, he presented me with a very nice broadside shot and I took himbehind his right shoulder. And yes, that is a hot load. I actually had reservations about shooting 150 grains due to horror stories about certain brands of muzzleloaders blowing up. Has anyone else heard this?

Quick Reply: Missouri firearm opener

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.