Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Patterning the Knight TK 2000 >

Patterning the Knight TK 2000

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Patterning the Knight TK 2000

Old 04-20-2008, 02:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Patterning the Knight TK 2000

I wanted to pattern the Knight TK 2000 today. I loaded 110 grains of American Pioneer 2f powder, then an over the powder card, a long shot wad, 2-1/2 ounces of #5 shot, and an over the shot card. I shot at the bottom white color of a Pepsi Cube box. The open fiber optic sights were read easy to pick up and see in the woods. For that reason I might not put a RED DOT on the shotgun. Also I have shot a lot of turkey but never one that far out....

This was an olive can that I set on top of that box for the second shot. I wanted to see what kind of penetration the shotgun would have at that distance and also to see if I could even shoot that far. This was free hand shooting. And there were none pellets in that can that totally penetrated that can at that distance. I was kind of impressed.

This was a Birchwood Casey Shoot N-C sticker. I had shot it earlier with the White to cause that large hole. But at 25 yards which is normally what I shoot at when I hunt turkey, I have a feeling that the Knight Shotgun would have put a few into the neck and head of any Tom that I was shooting at.

I shot the shotgun a total of 20 times.. I will say it kicks like a rented mule and with the APP smokes like an chimney.. A lot of fun to shoot. I did try shooting out to 50 yards, but I was shooting at a soda can and off hand did not hit it. I then shot off a set of sticks and put two pellets into it. Whether that would have been enough for a turkey, its hard to say. I was not using the Knight shot wads.. I had bought some for the New Englander so I still want to work a load up with a couple of them. I was mostly interesting in how much this thing was going to jump, how well it pointed, and how it grouped. Without a jacket, there was some recoil but nothing I could not handle. It was a lot of fun actually.

What I liked about this Knight is I could load it without taking the choke off... I had the 209 breech plug in and ignition was flawless. Also today I used Slick 50 One Grease as a breech plug anti seize. That stuff worked perfect.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Patterning the Knight TK 2000

Well Dave Looks like you have a Turkey gun now for sure if you don't get bursitis in your shoulder from shooting that monster.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:37 PM
Typical Buck

That APP powder shoots pretty hot and is potent enough toK.O. any turkeyit hits.I'm very impressed.

BTW, tracingthe outline of an ordinary claw hammer ontotarget paper is supposed to approximate a turkey target that'sgood enough for sighting in purposes...plus theircostis very reasonable.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks for the tip on the claw hammer.. I did not know that, but I will give it a try.. I have a few more boxes. This time I think I will bench rest the shotgun and really see where the pattern hits.. Today was just for fun.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:41 PM
Typical Buck

I can send you some head and neck turkey targets I have some I printed on typing paper.;
Old 04-20-2008, 07:23 PM
Dominant Buck

I have they layout of them saved.. I'm just too cheap to print them out...
Old 04-21-2008, 11:42 AM
Typical Buck

Dave, get yourself the 3-1/2" shot cups, more lead, more distance, more kick. Here is a shot at 45 yards (12"x12" sheet) with the overcard packed tight on the shotcup. If I hadn't shot it myself I would have never beleived the power. I would'nt bother with the 20 pack from Knight as you can buy 100 wads for the same price elsewhere.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p119/gotbuck1127/Turkey_target.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p119/gotbuck1127/100_1830-rev.jpg
Old 04-21-2008, 11:59 AM
Dominant Buck

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=131657 those are the ones I had ordered earlier and was shooting out of my New Englander. Then I picked up a bag of shorter ones and was shooting them for grouse.

So you use 100 grains of Triple Se7en 2f, then a Nitro Over the powder card, then the long shot cup, then the idenentical measure of shot from a second cup of #5 or in your case #6, then a over the shot card.. correct? That was what I was shooting yesterday for a couple of the rounds. It is what smacked that olive can at 40 yards free hand. I was really impressed with that. Then I switched over to the shorter cups to see how they would do.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Then I switched over to the shorter cups to see how they would do.
Yeah, sure! I'd bet you switched because that big load pounded the heck out of you. Looks like the turkeys in your area are in big trouble.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Well I did actually tone that thing down a little, and wanted to see if it would be a grouse load. That shorter load would make a heck of a duck load for puddle jumping, but I am not sure I would want to sky bust all day with that thing pounding the devil out of the upper part of my shoulder and me..

Quick Reply: Patterning the Knight TK 2000

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.