Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 teflon tape on breech plug is a necessity >

teflon tape on breech plug is a necessity

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

teflon tape on breech plug is a necessity

Old 02-02-2008, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default teflon tape on breech plug is a necessity

with my Traditions Pursuit Pro!
When I got the .50 barrel I headed for the range to try it out. Fired a few rounds (10-15) and when I got home the breech plug broke loose easily, then tightened up after a turn or two and I had to use an impact wrench to remove it!
Got the suggestion of using teflon tape and it worked fine. The plug required about the same effort to turn it from when I first broke it loose to all the way out.
Last time I cleaned it I was out of teflon tape, so I used anti-sieze lube and made a mental note to tape it before I shot it again. As usual I headed tot he range today, and forgot to tape it. [:@]When i got home it broke loose easily, then locked up after a turn or two. Thank goodness I have a compressor & impact wrench!

The reason I had it out today was that I wnated to try some conicals in it, and I had put a different scope (2.5X) on it with maxima QD rings. I tried the new (new mould I bought) Lee REAL 250 grain in it, and it looks promising. With 80 gr T-7 ffg it was grouping well under 1" @ 25 yards. Just thankful I didn't do a lot of shooting today when I got home and remembered I only used anti-sieze lube on the threads. [8D]I only fired about 10 times getting it sighted in & firing a group. If the weather stays nasty i can at least fire up the wood stove in my shop and cast more REALs now.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:25 PM

Default RE: teflon tape on breech plug is a necessity

wabi, I was introduced to the tape from day one. I have never used any lube on the threads and they look brand new.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:35 PM

I use the teflon tape and I put a thin coating of Anti-size Greass over the tape also .

Ron
Old 02-02-2008, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think I'm going to buy an assortment of tape (white - pink - yellow) and throw the anti-sieze lube away.
The Pursuit likes the yellow tape, but a double wrap of white will work, too. I wrap it so there is an excess at the front of the plug, and the extra tapeseems to blow back and seal the threads in front. With lube the front threads are dirty & burnt looking after shooting. The thread engagement is probably the problem, but the tape cures it easily!
Old 02-02-2008, 11:10 PM
Dominant Buck

I personally like to tape the plug and then paint the threads with anti seize. It has always worked for me. My first experience with a stuck plug was more then I ever wanted to experience again.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Naked with pink teflon tape mostly. IfI have to use white I add anti-seize as an additional measure. I find a16 gauge mop works well to removeany material left behind upon unscrewing the breech when using teflon.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I tried the yellow once, almost seized the plug on my Omega. The white works perfectly though.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:08 PM
Typical Buck

I personally never have used it and never have had a problem with breech plugs. I just grease em up and they come out fine. In all my Knights and Traditions guns the grease works fine. I think the problem isI see guys"gorilla over tighten" them and they become more stuck. I get them snug and back them out a little and never had problems. Use what works, I hear the tape helps with any blowback. Is that true or have you noticed any diffrence?
Old 02-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

wabi

I am certainly glad you are having success with the tape... That is all that I use in all of my inlines. I have all three colors (thicknesses) but I have yet to use the yellow tape on anything that I own - it is just to thick.

There really are some techniques to applying the tape correctly so it will last and screw in correctly without tearing or balling up, but once you have the techniques it is the only way to fly. No sticky mess ever just shoot and shoot til you are ready to remove the plug.

I vote for tape.... (another one of Underclocked inventions)

Old 02-03-2008, 03:20 PM

You know, ive notced on my x-150 on the original plug, the threads were kind of rounded and would allow half of the plug to foul up. The new cva plug i replaced it with, the threads were sharp and pointed and after shooting, found that only the first 1/4" of plug had founding on it. It also removed and installed like it was made of glass. So maybe the "Aftermarket" breech plugs are designed a little better than when the rifle first came out.

Quick Reply: teflon tape on breech plug is a necessity

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.