Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A good post idea???

Old 09-03-2008, 01:01 PM

Default A good post idea???

So we have had many "how to" posts on this site. But one that I have never seen (unless I missed it)is how to properly use afall restraintsystem for getting into and out of a treestand.

I wear a safety harness but fully admit I do not wear any kind of fall restraint when climbing in or out of my stand. Frankly I have never seen one, but I've have heard I guys using a prussic (sp?) knot on a kind of zip cord that goes from the bottom of the tree to the stand. I would really like to see how these systems work, so if anyone would be willing to put together a "how to" post that would be much appreciated.

Hunt safe..
Old 09-03-2008, 01:18 PM

Default RE: A good post idea???

Suggestion;
Go to your local home depot, or lowes, and pick up a roofing harness.

-It has an anchor that you screw to the top of the roof that is fully adjustable for the pitch of the roof. In this case, a Tree.

-The harness is a four point shoulder and legs, and has a clip on it for the rope. when you set your stand, simply screw the anchor into the tree above your stand

-clip the rope on, letting the rope down to the ground.

-when you arrive at your stand with the harness on your body, clip the slide on the rope to your back and start climbing. you can only go up at this point, unless you take the rope in your hands and manually move the slide down the rope.

If you fall, there is a six-foot extention in the rope that releases to cushion you from when your slide locks and stops you on your way to the ground.

Price; 90-250 bucks depending on comfort of the harness.

It is OSHA approved for climbing all over roofs of any angle, at any height.

this one is 130 bucks and is the one I use in treestands and on roofs.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

You could use something like a Petzl fall arrestor. Excellent piece of hardware, but pricey.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have 3 built by this guy: James Jacques [[email protected]]

they are a good price with top flight material.

Here's how they work:

- Safety rope is attached above the stand and runs along the tree, then ties off at the bottom of the tree. He has descriptions of how to get it up there in the first place, but I just hang it up there while hanging the stand, so yes, I am not 100% attached while hanging the stand, but I do have a strap and lineman's belt at all times.

- On the safety rope is the prussic knot. This has about a 6 inch loop that you hook your carabineer into

- Hook your harness via the carabeneer to the prussic knot while standing on the ground.

- As you climb, you simply slide the prussic knot up the rope as you go.

- When you get to the top you can stay attached to this, but I disconnect from the prussic AFTER I've attached myself to the tree.

- Coming down, you do the opposite.

Never disconnected from a safety device until your feet are on the ground.

The prussic knot slides up/down the rope with you. It's design is such that if you yank suddenly on it, it tightens and catches you.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bob H in NH

I have 3 built by this guy: James Jacques [[email protected]]

they are a good price with top flight material.

Here's how they work:

- Safety rope is attached above the stand and runs along the tree, then ties off at the bottom of the tree. He has descriptions of how to get it up there in the first place, but I just hang it up there while hanging the stand, so yes, I am not 100% attached while hanging the stand, but I do have a strap and lineman's belt at all times.

- On the safety rope is the prussic knot. This has about a 6 inch loop that you hook your carabineer into

- Hook your harness via the carabeneer to the prussic knot while standing on the ground.

- As you climb, you simply slide the prussic knot up the rope as you go.

- When you get to the top you can stay attached to this, but I disconnect from the prussic AFTER I've attached myself to the tree.

- Coming down, you do the opposite.

Never disconnected from a safety device until your feet are on the ground.

The prussic knot slides up/down the rope with you. It's design is such that if you yank suddenly on it, it tightens and catches you.

How much does he sell these ropes for?
Old 09-03-2008, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Theres this thing like a seat belt you hook on before you climb and if it trips it catches like a seat belt.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

i think thats called the Fall Guy Restraint. I always use my Gorilla harness with the tree climbing aid, tighten it as I go up, that way Im always connected to the tree and can safley climb with a constant 3-4 points of contact at all times.

ORIGINAL: 130woodman

Theres this thing like a seat belt you hook on before you climb and if it trips it catches like a seat belt.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Summit has a system for this, check thier website
summitstands.com